Friday, February 1, 2008

Love of a Prophet


Since hearing of the passing of our Prophet Gordon B. Hinckley I have been reflecting on so many of the things we've learned from him. I wanted to share a few. I have always been inspired by his talks and have heard much on the radio about what a wonderful speaker his was and I agree, but the things that have stood out to me the most were more things he did by example rather than preached of. His wonderful sence of humor, I don't ever remember a Prophet laughing and making jokes. What I've learned in reflecting on his humor is two fold really. First that it's good to laugh, never has the scripture 2 Nephi 2:25 "...and men are that they might have joy." ment more to me than in reflecting on the Prophets life, he was full of joy, love of his family and a love of life. What an example to us all on how to live. Trials come and sadness is part of this life but we must seek for our own joy. The second thing I learned from his humor was that it was never cutting, cruel and never, never made fun of or hurt someone else. I am sad to say that I cannot claim the same of myself. These are two of the many valuble lessons I will take with me and he taught them to me simply through his example. Imagine what we could do as a Church, a Family or even as an Individual with just our example if it is the right one.

1 comment:

Carolanne said...

What a wonderful tribute! You summed up his sense of humor so well. It reminds me that I have a long way to go. I don't think the fact that he is gone will really hit me until next General Conference when he won't walk in waving his cane. He was an amazing person.