Music….Awww Music…. I LOVE music, for me it has a mystical, magical power to it. It has the power to inspire, lift and motivate. It can also slow me down, mellow me out and calm my troubled heart. On the flip side it can pound through my head and chest and invigorate and incite. I love music in all its many forms and styles. As I thought about this blog post I realized that for me music holds powerful sway. I’m not sure that I listen to specific music when I am happy, sad, bored, hyped or mad…I usually listen to specific music when I WANT to feel a certain way or remember a certain memory of someone or something. I use music to put my head where it needs to be or where I want it to be.
For instance…
Country music is one of my favorites, old country by Alabama, Sawyer Brown, John Michael Montgomery, Kenny Rogers, Randy Travis and Doug Stone reminds me of childhood and my daddy. I love to listen to this music when I’m longing for a simpler life and it brings me to a nostalgic place that feels safe like the arms of my dad.
Then there’s the music I listen to when I feel rebellious and I want to crank it up and feel the pounding base that can drown out all else; 3 Doors Down, Pink, Hinder, Poison…etc. (Citizen Soldier at top volume can drown out just about anything)
I rarely want to go back to my troubled teen years but Erasure, Dead or Alive, Oingo Boingo, R.E.M. and U2 can take me there the minute I hear them.
When I want something to make me smile…and get my kids singing along I listen to show tune sound tracks like Phantom of the Opera and Wicked. (I’m not sure they would thank me for the fact that they know EVERY word ;) At clean up time they had a choice, show tunes or Harry Potter…they cry and beg to NOT listen to Harry Potter books on CD anymore so their stuck with show tunes…isn’t being a mom AWESOME!?!
When I need inspiration or to focus on feeling the spirit music can transform my heart and mind and speak comfort to my soul almost as quickly as prayer. Jessie Clark Funk is one of my favorites; her song “Again” seems as if it were written just for me. I also love Jenny Phillips, Alex Boye and Voice Male.
There are also those incredible songs that remind me of someone special every time I hear them.
There’s a song by Randy Travis called “He Walked on Water” and I can’t listen to it without my head being filled with memories of my grandpa Strong, it makes me smile and it makes me cry and I love it almost as much as I loved him.
I can’t hear anything by Journey without thinking about my big sister. I’m sure Paige has moved on to other music but she will always be in her room listening to Journey in my memory. It usually makes me miss her something terrible.
My kids all have songs their dad sang them when they were little. Each song had their nickname in it and they LOVED it! It still makes me smile remembering.
Last but not least are the love songs…I LOVE a good love song. They all remind me of my sweetheart and all he means to me. My kids love it when “our song” comes on the radio “(Everything I Do) I Do It For You” by Bryan Adams. I also love “Stuck Like Glue” by Sugarland; “In My Dreams” by Josh Turner and “He Talks To Me” by Lori Morgan. But I’m pretty sure my favorite love song of all times is still “I Never Knew Love” by Doug Stone, I heard it when I was young and am pretty sure it only gets better each time I hear it.
So there it is I LOVE MUSIC, if I’ve mentioned one you’ve never heard I’m sure you can google it, and don’t worry we don’t have to like the same music, I just hope you get as much from your music as I get from mine.
No comments:
Post a Comment