Saturday, April 30, 2011

day 7- a picture of someone/something that has the biggest impact on you

A Post about My Mom

When she lookes at me like that, I know I can do anything!

I was going to make this post about the Savior but as I sat down to post it I realized that I wouldn’t have the love for or relationship with him I enjoy today without my mother. I don’t know if it’s because Mother’s Day is coming up or if it’s because I am struggling right now as a mother of teenagers, but my own sweet Mom has been on my mind and so close to my heart the last little while. I, like most of you contemplate each year on a Mother’s day gift that will show my Mother how much I love and appreciate all that she has done for me. Last year, thanks to some dear friends I found the perfect gift; a simple (yet beautiful) decorative plate with the words “My Mother Knew” on it. (Thanks Jean and Della) I have realized through the years that it is all of the things that “My Mother Knew” and taught me that have shaped and helped to form the things I know now. The most important of the things “My Mother Knew” is and has always been her testimony of the restored gospel of Jesus Christ. I am eternally grateful to my Father in Heaven who knew I would need such a tender role model. I feel most of the time like the exact opposite of my sweet Mom. Where she is patient, loving and kind hearted, I am sometimes short tempered, strong willed, defiant, and judge too quickly. It was worse when I was a teen and I am trying hard to overcome my weaknesses and my Mother is my role model. Through those hard teenage years she never gave up on me, even when I know my poor choices must have broken her heart. I know now as I face some of the same challenges of mothering teenagers that it was surely her testimony of a loving Savior that carried her through those trials. How grateful I am to now have my own testimony of a loving Savior and his atoning sacrifice to carry me through my own set of trials. I testify that the power of the atonement and the restoring power of repentance are real and the joy that can be found through the application of these gifts is the greatest gift I have ever received. I know, because before me “My Mother Knew” and I learned at her knee. I also know that when I feel like I am falling, I am simply falling into place; the place a loving Heavenly Father has prepared for me. He knows who I am, He knows where I am and He has prepared me for the trials I will face. The trials that will prepare me spiritually to return to Him. I love my Savior Jesus Christ, I love my Father in Heaven and I love my Mother who first taught me who they were. It truly is my Mother who has had the biggest impact on my life…and I am grateful.


P.S. Mom, here's a link to see all of Kyrsten's Sr. pictures. I love you!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/30995939@N05/sets/72157626486254117/


1 comment:

dillywilly said...

What a beautiful tribute to your mom...